Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Remenents of the flood from Sunday night



We had a flood in our house on Sunday night. Three feet of water in the basement, which took four hours to drain out. I slept in my mud room in the computer chair, with Dakota keeping my feet warm. It was a rough night, but thankfully not much damage.

It started earlier in that day, when we had an earlier rain storm, which flooded the creek in the back. Also, lightning struck a tree beside the house, so it was partially on the ground. Nick started panicking about ten that night, moved his car, I brought the dog in, and it was when Nick turned off Colin's AC that the tree fell when a big thunder boom went. Imagine my surprise when it was against the wires. I called the electric company, told them about it, and it was about 10 minutes later our power went... for the rest of the night. A fireman came and helped bring our generator up the basement stairs to put on the front porch. With the amount of water coming in, there was no way it was going to be in the basement.

It proceeded to down pour for the next four to five hours. Our road was closed down due to flooding, as were most roads by my area. It finally stopped at like two in the morning, and then the rest of the night, it took to drain my basement. When we went down in the morning, once we had power again, there was mud everywhere, garbage everywhere, it was a mess!
This is the mess we woke up to the next morning. Trees, rocks, mud and other debris all over. It's going to take forever to get this cleaned up. Our neighbour came over and knocked a few trees down to clean out the pipe that caused all of this. I just couldn't believe it. It was insane!

The electric company came and cut the tree down that was against the wires. That was scary, because the thought of live wires setting a tree on fire is not a good one. Especially at night... with no power... all night.

It was just a scary time for me... as I didn't know what was going to happen. There's nothing like that feeling at all, and something I really don't want to repeat. I loved that Dakota slept at my feet all night though... I loved that she kept my warm all night long. That was a great feeling... the dampness in the house because of that water, was what keep me cold. I'm thinking that I caught something from that, but I'm hoping not.

Now, I have this tree in my yard, and the water still.. and the mud. Doesn't make things very clean... oh well. At least nothing was damaged that badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment